Complete Series Bundle RC: The Articulate Mammal: An by Jean Aitchison

By Jean Aitchison

Foreword to the Routledge Classics variation Preface to the 1st version. Preface to the 5th version. creation 1.The nice automated grammatizator 2.Animals that attempt to speak 3.Grandmama's the teeth 4.Predestinate grooves 5.A blueprint within the mind? 6.Chattering childrens 7.Puzzling it out 8.Celestial unintelligibility 9.The white elephant challenge 10.The case of the lacking fingerprint 11.The Cheshire Cat's grin 12.Banker's clerk or hippopotamus? feedback for additional interpreting References Index

Show description

Read Online or Download Complete Series Bundle RC: The Articulate Mammal: An Introduction to Psycholinguistics (Routledge Classics) PDF

Similar introduction books

Discourse: A Critical Introduction (Key Topics in Sociolinguistics)

Geared up thematically, this creation outlines the elemental rules and strikes directly to research the equipment and thought of CDA (critical discourse analysis). issues coated comprise textual content and context, language and inequality, selection and backbone, background and approach, ideology and id. Jan Blommaert makes a speciality of how language can supply a very important knowing of wider facets of strength kinfolk, arguing that CDA may still in particular research the consequences of energy.

Introduction to metallurgy, 2nd Edition

This vintage textbook has been reprinted through The Institute of fabrics to supply undergraduates with a extensive evaluate of metallurgy from atomic conception, thermodynamics, response kinetics, and crystal physics.

OSS for Telecom Networks: An Introduction to Network Management

Glossy telecom networks are automatic, and are run via OSS software program or "operational aid systems”. those deal with smooth telecom networks and supply the information that's wanted within the daily operating of a telecom community. OSS software program is additionally liable for issuing instructions to the community infrastructure to turn on new carrier choices, begin prone for brand new clients, and become aware of and proper community faults.

Extra info for Complete Series Bundle RC: The Articulate Mammal: An Introduction to Psycholinguistics (Routledge Classics)

Example text

And at the lion–leopard chirp, they hastily climbed up a tree (Seyfarth et al. 1980a, 1980b; Cheney and Seyfarth 1990). So the monkeys clearly have a special signal for each type of enemy. Yet the danger cries of monkeys are still far from human language. They are a mix of a shriek of fear and a warning to others, and are only partly a symbol. The huge gulf between these calls and ‘real’ speech has led many people to argue for a discontinuity theory. Proponents of discontinuity theories claim that humans still retain their basic set of animal cries, which exist alongside language.

Let us consider some of this later research. From the mid 1960s, teaching language to apes became a popular pastime among American psychologists. A minor population explosion of ‘talking chimps’ followed. Broadly, they can be divided into signers, who were taught sign language, and pointers, who pressed symbols on a keyboard. Our discussion will begin with two signers, Washoe and Nim, then move on to two pointers, Lana and Kanzi. Washoe’s exact age is unknown, but she is estimated to now be over 40 years old.

Furthermore, he rarely initiated conversations. Only 12 per cent of his utterances were truly spontaneous, and the remaining 88 per cent were in response to his teachers. We may conclude, therefore, that Nim did not use his signs in the structured, creative, social way that is characteristic of human children. It seems reasonable to agree with Terrace that ‘It would be premature to conclude that a chimpanzee’s combinations show the same structure evident in the sentences of a child’ (1979a: 221) and that ‘Nim’s signing with his teachers bore only a superficial resemblance to a child’s conversations with his or her parents’ (Terrace 1983: 57).

Download PDF sample

Rated 4.00 of 5 – based on 41 votes